The idea of a 'balance' to be disturbed flies in the face of the reality easily seen in this world: few people get through the year without getting sick, and none ultimately avoid getting some terminal condition. In short, fighting sickness is always a losing game.
To what end?
Those three words have become something of a mantra, a mission, a philosophy of care.
- To what end do I prescribe a medication?
- To what end do I make a diagnosis?
- To what end do I order tests?
- To what end am I documenting?
- To what end is there a patient record?
- To what end do I send a person to a specialist?
- To what end do patients need to come to see me in the office?
- To what end do my patients have me as a doctor?